Thursday, September 29, 2011

Surreal

That's the only word I can think of as I sit here in the waiting area at the physical therapy clinic. Servicemember after servicemember comes in and out of here in a wheelchair, missing one or more limbs. Sometimes they are alone, sometimes they are with a loved one. I just saw a very young wife drop off her husband at the clinic, told him she loves him, an in to the clinic he went for his appointment. Their lives are changed forever. This young wife probably never imagined this would ever happen to them, but she lovingly drops him off and says she will be back when the appointment is over. There's this awful feeling in me, a feeling of sadness for these men and women. You may see them out in town but what you don't see is HOW MANY of them there are. So many servicemembers who are missing limbs, and they are so young! Sitting here at Bethesda makes me realize just how lucky I really am.

No comments: